REVIEW + DISCUSSION: Eleanor & Park

Wednesday, October 28, 2015


"Two misfits.

One extraordinary love.


Eleanor... Red hair, wrong clothes. Standing behind him until he turns his head. Lying beside him until he wakes up. Making everyone else seem drabber and flatter and never good enough...Eleanor.



Park... He knows she'll love a song before he plays it for her. He laughs at her jokes before she ever gets to the punch line. There's a place on his chest, just below his throat, that makes her want to keep promises...Park.



Set over the course of one school year, this is the story of two star-crossed sixteen-year-olds—smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try."
REVIEW

I've been putting off writing my thoughts about Eleanor & Park. What a bad blogger I am for doing so!  But my memory of how I felt towards this book is still raw and vivid that I couldn’t help myself bursting out my feelings about it.

Obesity, to others, seems like a disease of some sorts. People bully the obese and it never ends. Eleanor is a victim of bullying for her appearance. When she stepped in the bus where Park is, she became the target for a non-stop verbal abuse.  No one offered her a sit, but Park did…reluctantly. Maybe it was out of pity but he was far from nice for he gave her a disapproval curse. Their first meeting didn’t go well. So are the next day, and the next. Comic books and mixed tapes however have this power to start a connection between the two. And that’s when the two misfits found a place where they truly belong- in each other’s lives, filling the abyss that has long been empty.

Eleanor has less of everything. She’s living a tragic life with her not-that-rich family and an abusive father. She has these insecurities that have reasons behind why she has them. Park, on the other hand, has the best of everything and yet felt an outcast. Both characters had their fair share of problems. And that’s why they felt so connected; it’s because of their quirks and individuality that they, alone, can understand. That they, alone, can see clearly how fit they are together. After a couple of awkward conversations and small talks, Eleanor and Park found solace and love at the right place.

After reading Fangirl, I couldn’t get enough of Rainbow Rowell’s wonderfully woven work that I immediately picked up Eleanor & Park. And I’m so glad I did because now I can say that I’m an avid fan of her, which means, I will read anything that she’ll write and has written.

Eleanor & Park, just like Fangirl, contains SIMPLICITY at its best. It’s genuine, sweet, heart-warming, adorable, and sweet…did I say that already? Oops! Doubling the sweetness then. Eleanor & Park is everything that I craved in a good YA Contemporary book.

SUBJECT FOR DISCUSSION:
Warning: Spoilers ahead.

THAT ENDING GUYS! I THINK I'VE GONE INSANE GUESSING.

What do you think were the three words written on the postcard? It could simply be “I love you”. I mean, I let myself believe it was. But then again, I don’t have sufficient evidence.  It could be “I miss you” or perhaps “See you around”. Oh! The endless possibilities! One thing is for sure though; it’s a positive phrase because at the end Park smiled. What are your thoughts about it?

Another thing, there should be a sequel! I demand a sequel. They were separated. Like far from each other separated. Eleanor & Park deserves more than that ending. Don't they? What were your overall thoughts about this book?

ABOUT THE BOOK:


Book Title: Eleanor & Park
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Genre(s): YA, Contemporary Romance
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Publication Date:  February 26, 2013
Source: bought
Rating: 5/5 stars!

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Poor Eleanor. :( I'm actually the black sheep here - I couldn't get into Eleanor & Park and ended up DNFing it - but I remember feeling terrible for the first title character. Your review brought back all those emotions and is making me tempted to give the book another shot. *considers*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've started to enjoy YA contemporary books more than I ever thought I would, so Rainbow Rowell is definitely an author that I want to check out at some point. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! :D GOD I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH! I completely and utterly fell in love with Rainbow Rowell's writing when I read Eleanor and Park. She has a knack for writing books that make you feel like a warm puddle of chocolate goo. AND I HAVE THOUGHTS MY FRIEND I HAVE THOUGHTS ON THIS WORK OF FICTION.
    First of all Eleanor. God my heart is with Eleanor :( The hardest part about reading this book were the parts about her dad's abuse and her bullying. But I loved her character so much because of how she handles everything so well, even if she feels super insecure around Park and feels as though their love isn't gonna last it's just ARGH SO HEART WRENCHING.
    As for those 3 words, I'm gonna go with' I love you.' I know I know, it could be anything ranging from 'I love you' to 'ducks are rad' but I'm just gonna stick with that so my emotions aren't screwed up for the rest of my life.
    A sequel? Ehhh I'm kind of on the fence about that. On one hand I really really want a proper closure where they ride off into the sunset and live happily ever after (and Rainbow Rowell reveals what those three words are goddammit) but on the other hand I liked how it ended. It ended in the middle of things, suspended and without conclusion yes but somehow it worked. It fit with the story in ways I can't explain but I think it was almost necessary in some way. Like a proper closure would seem too cliche. In my opinion, if a sequel was written, it would have to be done very VERY carefully so as not to throw the entire book of course.
    But overall I thought it was absolutely positively spot on. Can't wait to read more of Rainbow Rowell's works!

    ReplyDelete

Instagram