(ARC) Review: The Sin Eater's Daughter

Thursday, November 12, 2015


Book Title: The Sin Eater's Daughter
Author: Melinda Salisbury
Genre(s): YA, Fantasy
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Publication Date:  March 1, 2015
Source: e-ARC from Scholastic Press through Edelweiss, Thank you!
Rating: 3.5/ 5 stars.
Get a copy: Amazon | The Book Depository

I am the perfect weapon.
I kill with a single touch.

Twylla is blessed. The Gods have chosen her to marry a prince, and rule the kingdom. But the favour of the Gods has it's price. A deadly poison infuses her skin. Those who anger the queen must die under Twylla's fatal touch.

Only Lief, an outspoken new guard, can see past Twylla's chilling role to the girls she truly is.

Yet in a court as dangerous and the queen's, some truths should not be told...
REVIEW

Basically, this book is about The Sin Eater’s Daughter, hence the title, who chose to become a Daunen Embodied instead of inheriting her mother’s job which is sin eating. Sin eating is a ritual done at funerals. Different kinds of food representing the sins of the dead are offered to the sin eater to devour. It’s like the sin eater is someone who’ll purge the soul of the dead. Pretty cool, huh?

Although the overall impression of this book has lead me to request a review copy, some parts of the story failed to catch my attention. The storyline was dragging at the first half of the book and it was descriptive. I was thinking of stopping by then. But, with the help of some of you guys who recommended being patient and just finish the book because it’s worth it, I read it all. And OH MY GOODNESS, I’m so happy that I did! Because this book, I tell you, THIS BOOK is a sweet surprise! 

Twylla is our main protagonist. Her character lacks personality. She’s like a rag doll, flexible enough to accept whatever the queen does to her. BORING. Yeah, that’s the first thing that comes to mind. BUT, didn’t I tell you this book was a surprise? Something actually happened to her, she was renewed when Leif came. Yes he’s a boy. And yes he’s the love interest. However, there’s a prince that Tywlla is betrothed to. That makes things complicated, doesn’t it? That’s when I started liking this book.

For me this book does not garner a full star rating because of how it started but 3.5-star-rating is fair enough, so I'm going to go with that. If not for the romance and the twists in the end, I would have given this book a 2-star rating. 

As a book that started drab and uneventful, The Sin Eater’s Daughter drastically improved its effect on me. Liking this book was an unexpected turn of event.  I was determined to DNF it not for some bloggers who advised to finish it.

So if you’re reading this one now and having trouble reading further: DON’T STOP. It’s worth it.

NOTE: This is a re-published review from my old blog which is now inexistent.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram