Review: Cinder

Wednesday, December 09, 2015

Book Title: Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer
Genre(s): YA, Science Fiction, Dystopia, 
Publication Date: January 3, 2012
Source: own copy
Get a copy: Amazon | Barnes and Noble | The Book Depository
My rating: 4/5 stars!

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.
REVIEW

With the buzz this book gets around the blogosphere, I eventually gave in to read it. It's not the retelling I was expecting but it certainly lived up to its hype.

Cinder is a mechanic cyborg who is treated by her step mother as a servant in their household. Things got even worse by the time her sister gets the sporadic deadly virus and Cinder was the one being blamed. But by the time she meet Prince Kai, whom she worked with, the hope to escape the harsh world she lives in seems achievable in time.

Cinder is neither your ordinary teen nor the damsel-in-distress type. She's a fighter who isn’t afraid to speak her feelings despite the consequences. Although sometimes she can be too self-conscious about her being a cyborg but that only happens when Prince Kai is around. And of course that only means that something is forming inside her- a feeling she never would have thought to feel. And that’s why I love this book! It's all because of her unique character and Prince Kai too.Speaking of the uber hot prince, He’s one guy I would badly want to have! Haha! Oh! Prince Kai (swoons)

While reading Cinder, I can't stop myself from anticipating the subsequent events. I wasn't even halfway through the book and I already had the idea what will happen next. And knowing where the story is heading took away the element of surprise! I wasn’t entirely okay with it; it’s like there’s no reason to read further because of how predictable it was. But that doesn't necessarily mean I didn't like the story. I did like it. I love it even! And it was all thanks to Marissa Meyer’s creativity of constructing the characters personality! If not for the characters and the unique world-building I would have ditch this book.

This book is different from all the Cinderella retellings I have read. It completely stick to the original story, and when I say stick I mean the flow of the story is alike the original on except for the revisions about Cinder's overall personality, the other minor characters and the unique futuristic world Marissa Meyer created. 

Overall, Cinder was such an amazing book that I highly recommend! Despite its drawbacks, it was a good book with great potential of becoming my favorite series of all time if the following books to be published soon will be better than the first. With greatly constructed likable characters and a unique world-building, Cinder is a book that will enchant you with its magic.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I loved this book :) Scarlet is even better! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you! I read this one a few days ago and LOVED it. But it was a bit predicable for my taste. I'm hoping that the next book is a little better in terms of predictability!

    Tabitha @ Tabitha's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked Cinder! It does have its flaws, but still an enjoyable read. Are you planning to read the sequel anytime soon? I'm curious to hear your thoughts in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to read this one, but I just can't bring myself to pick it. Glad to hear you liked it, though :D
    I'm not really fond of predictable book, but if you you said strong character and world-building, well, you've successfully tempted me to read this one :)
    Nice review, by the way, Mae!

    Neysa Kristanti @ [B.O.O.K.L.I.F.E

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know Cinder is pretty predictable, and you're not the only one who's mentioned that. But I think the world building and the writing and the idea behind it all makes up for that. I like Cinder, but yeah, I wish it wasn't as predictable.

    ReplyDelete

Instagram